Address: Cnr Jerrabomberra Ave and Hindmarsh Drive, Symonston ACT 2609
Tel: +61 2 6249 9111
Company descriptionGeoscience Australia is a prescribed agency within the Resources, Energy and Tourism portfolio, and our Minister is The Hon Martin Ferguson AM MP.
Geoscience Australia is a world leader in providing first class geoscientific information and knowledge which enables government and community to make informed decisions about:
* the exploitation of resources
* the management of the environment
* the safety of critical infrastructure and
* the resultant wellbeing of all Australians.
We look at key issues such as the global attractiveness of Australia's offshore and onshore exploration, improved resource management and environmental protection. We play a key role in developing a sustainable energy supply for Australia's future.
The outcome of our work is an enhanced potential for the Australian community to obtain economic, social and environmental benefits through the application of first class research and information.
Products and servicesOur activities cover onshore, offshore and spatial information.
* Onshore activities focus on enhancing mineral exploration and environmental land-use planning. We do this by producing geoscience maps, databases and information systems and by conducting regional geological and mineral systems research. Our activities also contribute to safer communities and critical infrastructure and the maintenance of fundamental gravity, geomagnetic and seismic networks.
* Offshore activities focus on providing pre-competitive data and information to assist in identifying new prospective basins for petroleum exploration, and the geological storage of carbon dioxide, in Australia's offshore jurisdiction. Activities also include mapping and documentation of Australia's maritime boundaries, studies of the marine environment using seabed mapping techniques and determining estuarine water quality and health. These studies assist natural resource management.
* Spatial information activities focus on providing key spatial information of Australia with an emphasis on response to rapid and slow onset hazards, the detection of change, emergency management requirements, natural risk assessment and marine zone management. Activities also include coordinating the implementation of the Australian Government's policy on spatial data access and pricing.